The Council on Undergraduate Research (CUR) focuses on providing and enhancing undergraduate research opportunities for both faculty and students. CUR is one of the few professional organizations that focuses on all areas of academic research, including the arts and humanities, biology, chemistry, geosciences, health sciences, mathematics and computer science, physics and astronomy, psychology and social sciences. This allows for high-quality collaboration between undergraduate students and faculty, regardless of discipline.
CUR exists to support undergraduate research by providing networking opportunities and other resources to faculty. Broadly defined, undergraduate research is an inquiry or investigation conducted by an undergraduate student that makes an original intellectual or creative contribution to the discipline. By including undergraduates in their research projects, faculty members develop professionally while also serving the academic community.
Miami University values and supports CUR’s mission through its enhanced institutional membership, which covers all Miami affiliates’ membership costs.
Membership offers the following benefits to faculty:
- By writing articles for CUR publications and listservs, faculty members can share their ideas via these media and can gather new ideas by reading colleagues’ articles.
- Faculty members can also contribute to Miami’s strong reputation with undergraduate research. By joining the CUR, faculty members are declaring their involvement with such programs.
- CUR offers a chance to interact and connect with other professionals interested in advancing undergraduate research.
- Through CUR publications and outreach activities, faculty share successful models and strategies, adapting ideas to their own research processes.
- Faculty members can build their professional skills by attending a CUR conference, which gives them the opportunity to actively engage with other faculty and discuss issues relevant to undergraduate research.
Improved opportunities and environment
- CUR’s mentor network is beneficial to faculty members who are interested in initiating or sustaining undergraduate research programs.
- Through its consulting services, CUR assists colleges and universities in a range of activities, including assessing undergraduate research programs, designing fundraising programs and organizing faculty retreats with guest speakers.
- Funding opportunities and fellowships are provided to undergrads through the CUR website.
Miami affiliates can join CUR for free
Simply follow these steps:
- Visit cur.org.
- Click the Join CUR link.
- Click on Individual Membership.
- Fill in your personal information.
- Choose Miami University (OH) as your institution.
- Click OK in the pop-up window confirming Miami’s enhanced institutional membership; this makes your individual membership free.
For more information about CUR, contact Martha Weber, Miami’s CUR liaison (513-529-1775).
Photo by Jeff Sabo, Miami University Photo Services.